Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Mystery Escape Room - SLC Review



Team Flying Hellfish flew out of our Houdini's Challenge today! Congratulations on your time of 52:28!  Posted by Mystery Escape Room on Saturday, June 13, 2015


A couple weeks ago I was able to go with my friend Emily & a bunch of her friends to the Mystery Escape room at the Gateway Mall in downtown SLC.  I first heard about this place from listening to radio show, The Nightside Project, because they broadcasted live here at least once, probably twice.



Basically you are in a room with other people (they can be friends or you can join a group that needs more people but 12 is the max limit!) and you can choose from one of about 3 rooms. We were in the Houdini's Challenge room which is the easiest one you can do but it still took us almost the whole 60 minutes to figure out all the clues and finish.  You pick a team name, watch a short video and there is a person assigned (out of the room but watching via camera) who can help you figure out clues and answer specific questions. 

You are not allowed to use your phone to get helps or take pictures. This is why I only have the one that they took for us at the end. I did have them take a few on my ipod but theirs turned out with a stronger flash, etc. Anyways, it is okay to bring your phone in but if you have to use it (kids calling, etc) then you have to leave the room and not come back in.

Overall I thought it was fun and challenging enough (to me) and luckily we had some really smart problem solvers / puzzle solvers in the room. 12 people was almost too many I thought because I caught myself standing around watching everyone a couple times because I didn't know what I could do to help. I dont know why this always happens to me and it's always so awkward. I tried to help best I could though and did end up figuring out one of the clues which felt awesome.

I thought it was neat that there was a ''wall of fame'' where there were pictures of previous groups and what time they had got in their assigned room. The Mystery Escape room does switch up the rooms from time to time so there's always new challenges to try!

Overall I would go again with friends or family. I had a pretty fun time and it was fun to meet some new people and work together with them. This would be great to do for a group date night, family activity or youth night. 

To find out more, check out their website for information and locations

No comments: